Your journey towards good health continues even after the Bariatric Surgery. Here are things to keep in mind post your surgery.
Adequate protein intake through food & supplements is important. Hydration should be adequate. Avoiding high calorie ( fat & sugar ) foods will ensure optimal results.
Exercise will help in toning. Strength training will help gain/maintain muscle mass which will help in weight maintenance.
At CMS, individual counselling is provided by our team keeping in mind the preferences and lifestyle of the patient. Changes in eating habits required after surgery are scientifically explained so that it is easier to understand and follow. Regular monitoring helps avoid deficiencies.
We take pride in the efforts put in by the surgeon himself apart from an experienced & sincere team in aftercare of patients either digital or in person.
Liquid Diet (2 weeks)
- Clear liquids for first three days- Plain Water, coconut water (if sugars are normal), clear soups, green tea, lime water etc. Hydration levels should be adequate
- Fourth day onwards- Protein shakes, thin dal, buttermilk, tea/coffee, soups are allowed
Soft Diet [Sleeve(4 weeks) & Bypass(2 weeks)]
- Egg whites, fish, porridge, dal, khichdi, low fat paneer, curd, idli, dhokla, beans etc are advised
- Foods should be soft (overcooked)
- Breads, salads etc not allowed
- There are no restrictions except on high calorie foods with fats or sugars. Emphasis is on adequate protein intake (50-60 gms per day) & liquids (1.5-2 litres per day).
Supplements & Follow up Investigations
- Multivitamins, Calcium, Iron & Vitamin B12 are prescribed.
Follow up Investigations
- Vitamin and Mineral levels are checked every 6 months for 1 year & annually thereafter.
Over and above the three mentioned stages, proper care needs to be maintained in the following areas:
Patient is encouraged to walk on the day of surgery
Long walks/ slow treadmill is advised 10 days later
Aerobic activity like swimming can begin from the 20th day
Upper & lower body workouts can be started 1 month after surgery
abdominal exercise can be started
- Weight loss surgery support groups benefits and motivates post-surgery patients. These support groups helps patients achieve better weight loss and deal with the issues related to following bariatric diet, recipes and exercise by sharing experiences and communicating with peers. Support groups meetings are an important component of a bariatric surgery programme.
*Results may differ from person to person*