Bariatric Surgery is an umbrella term for the various forms of surgeries falling under it. Here is a glimpse for a detailed understanding.
Mini Gastric Bypass
This is a recent procedure which is a combination of sleeve and bypass. In the procedure, a long sleeve of stomach is created along with bypass of rest of the stomach and long segment of intestine. The procedure usually results in substantial weight loss even though the person is able to eat a larger meal.
- Shorter surgical procedure
- This surgery is reversible
- Larger food intake is possible
- Diabetes resolution in 80% – 90% patients
- Equally effective as Roux-n-y Gastric Bypass for all co-morbidities
- Like in case of any other Bariatric surgery procedure, this surgery has equal risk of anaesthesia & involves bypassing a part of stomach & intestine too
- Intolerance towards certain types of carbohydrates in some patients
- Besides the complications associated with standard gastric bypass, the complications related to Mini Gastric Bypass related include bile reflux, malabsorption, ulcers, etc
- Preferred protein intake
- Mediterranean diet tolerated better
- High carbohydrate diet to be avoided