Bariatric Surgery is an umbrella term for the various forms of surgeries falling under it. Here is a glimpse for a detailed understanding.
Ileal transposition Surgery
This surgery was developed by Dr. Aureo de Paula, (from Brazil) and is performed under clinical trial protocol by Dr. Ramen Goel in Mumbai. It is expected to help glycemic control in selected Type 2 Diabetes mellitus patients. This surgery involves interposing of a segment of the last part of the intestine (ileum) between two parts of the small intestine (jejunum) just beyond the stomach.
- Blood glucose control even in patients with severe beta cell impairment
- Stimulates insulin secretion
- Exerts proliferative effect on pancreatic beta cells
- This surgery leads to blood sugar control immediately after a meal
- Diabetes resolution in over 80% patients. Can be done even in overweight & normal weight diabetic patients
- Nausea, intestinal obstruction, internal hernia
- Since stomach is only partially resected, person is able to eat larger meals
- Low carbohydrate & high protein diet is preferred