Bariatric Surgery is an umbrella term for the various forms of surgeries falling under it. Here is a glimpse for a detailed understanding.
Gastric Bypass is the oldest bariatric procedure being carried out for last 50-60 years. This surgery involves creation of a small stomach pouch & rerouting the small intestines. The rest of the stomach remains functional & is connected to intestine.
A patient who undergoes this surgery feels full with a small portion of food intake. In addition, due to the associated mal-absorption, part of the food is not absorbed by the body, therefore, helping in the body weight loss. In case of diabetic patients, this surgery results in hormonal changes which lead to better control of blood sugar level in the body.
- World’s most researched & accepted procedure
- Substantial long term weight loss especially in Banded bypass
- Complete resolution of reflux & acidity symptoms
- Significant blood sugar control even in long term diabetics
- Reflux : > 90%
- Diabetes : ~ 80%
- High Cholesterol : ~ 90%
- General infection, wound dehiscence, pulmonary embolism, incisional hernia etc.
- bleeding, leak, dumping etc
*The possibility of such complications can be substantially reduced with pre-op preparation, careful technique & post-op compliance
- High Protein diet requirement (post op) : 50 to 60 gms/ day
- Consumption of vitamins, calcium and B12 supplements