Bariatric Surgery is an umbrella term for the various forms of surgeries falling under it. Here is a glimpse for a detailed understanding.
Gastric Band Surgery is a fully reversible surgery wherein a band is used to reduce food intake. To put it simply, a band is placed around the upper part of the stomach in order to create a small pouch to store food.
- Adjustable band helps achieve gradual & progressive weight loss
- Gastric band surgery is a day care surgery but most of the patients prefer overnight stay
- No mal-absorption in gastric band, therefore, supplement requirement is minimal
- Diabetes resolution in ~ 50% patients
- Attempts to repeatedly adjust for social reasons are fraught with risk of infection & band rejection
- Rare – gastric perforation, bleeding, infection, slippage, erosion
- Soft, well chewed low fat, high protein diet
- Vitamin & calcium supplements should ideally be continued for better health, skin texture & to avoid hair fall