Dr. Ramen Goel
“Only those with an extraordinary resolve and determination to reach good health choose to take the step towards Bariatric Surgery.”
Dr. Ramen Goel is a leading specialist in Bariatric surgery in the country. An advanced laparoscopic surgeon, Dr Ramen Goel comes with impressive experience in the field of Bariatric surgery. He has received training in bariatric surgeries and metabolic surgeries in France, USA, Australia, Switzerland and Brazil.
- M.B.B.S., MS, FICS, FIAGES, FALS
- Director,Centre of Excellence in Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery, Wockhardt Hospital,Mumbai
- Dr Goel started his laparoscopy surgical practice at Mumbai in 1993 & within a year he was appointed as Honorary Assistant Professor of Surgery at Grant Medical College & JJ Group of Hospitals at Mumbai by the State Government.
He is the first surgeon in Mumbai to start Bariatric surgery in 2000. He was invited to start the bariatric surgery department at the largest private hospital, Bombay Hospital in 2002. Subsequently, he joined other hospitals planning to start bariatric surgeries. He is a faculty in all annual meetings of Obesity Surgery Society of India since its inception in 2002-03.
To avoid potential complications associated with bariatric procedures, in 2009, he modified his technique of sleeve gastrectomy to include over-sewing, omentopexy & in selected patients also use fibrin sealant & re-enforcement material. This helped reduce the major complication rate & offer a reassuring smooth post-op recovery.
- 1st Master Bariatric surgeon from Asia accredited with Bariatric & Metabolic Surgeon of Excellence by Surgical Review Corporation, USA
- Performed India’s first gastric band, first banded gastric bypass & first mini lap bariatric surgery
- Fellow in GI Surgery by International College of Surgeons, USA
- Fellow in MAS Surgery by Indian Association of Gastro-intestinal Endo Surgeons (IAGES)
- Fellow in Advanced Laparoscopic (Bariatric) Surgery by IAGES
- Ex. Governing Council Member – International Association for Study of Obesity
- Ex. Steering Committee Member – Education & Management Task Force, IASO
- Past President – All India Association for Advancing Research in Obesity
- Member – International Review Committee, Surgical Review Corporation, USA
- Co Chief Editor – Journal of Obesity & Metabolic Research
- Editor – Journal of Minimal Access Surgery
- Organising Chairman – 5th Asia Oceania Conference on Obesity (AOCO2009) – 1st Annual Nova Bariatric Master Class 2012, 2nd Annual Nova Bariatric Master Class 2013 and 12th Annual National Conference of Obesity Surgery Society of India 2015
- Gastric Band – Lyon, France
- Gastric Bypass – Laussane, Switzerland
- Sleeve Gastrectomy – Perth, Australia
- Banded Bypass – LA, USA
- Adolescent Bariatrics – Cincinnati, USA
- Robotic Surgery – Buffalo, USA
- Ileal Transposition – Goiania,Brazil
- Diploma in Gastro-intestinal Surgery from Postgraduate Medical Institute, University of Vienna, Austria
- General Surgery – By Prof. V.N. Shrikhande, GI Surgeon & HOD, Bombay Hospital